Friday, September 7, 2012

Annie Sloan Soft Wax Project

A little over a year ago, Josh and I bought this adorable table from a boutique in McKinney.

 
It's great, but we really have only used it a handful of times (okay maybe once). The wood tabletop was unfinished and we were scared to death of spilling or getting grease on it.  I knew I wanted to put some kind of protective coating on it, but had no clue where to start.
 
Enter: Annie Sloan, paint goddess
 
 
I just so happened to run across this can of Annie Sloan soft wax left over from a previous project. Y'all... I am most possibly the world's worst painter! I am so stinkin lazy when it comes to paint.  I just want to slap it on and be done, which is why I love Annie Sloan's chalk paint...no prep and priming, but this does come for a pretty penny (around $40/quart). 
 
As I started to read the label I see that it mentions kitchen tables.  Problem solved! I probably should have read some tutorials, but like I mentioned before, I just want to get it done.  So in about 5 minutes flat I had done just that!
 
I enlisted the help of my husband and we started slapping  on big globs of it with some soft rags.  Seriously, that's it y'all.  So easy.
 
 
 
 
Apply a generous amount to a soft rag (or brush- many sites recommend the annie sloan wax brush, but I didn't feel like making that investment) and press it in to your surface.  We then rubbed it in using circular motions. After we had covered the entire surface, we let it dry overnight and repeated the process.  
 
My favorite thing about the wax was how much richer in color it made the wood look.  I also enjoyed pouring water on the surface and watching it pool up! :)
 
Before: notice the discoloration on the corner
 

 
 
 
After: It was still not completely dry...hence the glare.
 
Mingle on over to Perfectly Imperfect for a tutorial on using furniture wax. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment